Jan 27, 2012

Sophia's AFS Adventure II: Return to AFS

I leave for my semester in Costa Rica in less than a week, and I realized that I've actually told you very little about what I'm actually going to do. Sure, I may have mentioned it in passing, and then briefly described it while putting more emphasis on the fact that I'm freaking out here, but I haven't taken the time to provide an accurate description of my situation like I did pre-France. So, for those of you who are at the edge of your seat anxiously awaiting news of my upcoming trip (as I know all of you must be), the wait is over. Without further ado, I present to you

Sophia's AFS Adventure II: Return to AFS

ACTION!

Setting: The story takes place in San Ramón, in the Alajuela province of Costa Rica, population 10,710. Located in the Central Valley, this generally hilly area has year round temperatures of 70-80 degrees (Fahrenheit) year round. The area is home to one of the richest forest reserves in the country, and the city is said to show Costa Rica at it's finest.

Characters: Our globe-trotting lead Sophia returns with an entirely new host family! This time, Freddy and Yessenia have graciously welcomed her to live with them and their 5 year old son, Nathan, from February until July.

Plot: For her community service project, Sophia will be helping lead groups and teach music with Sistema Nacional de Educación Musical in San Ramón. Although conversational Spanish is probably necessary, we'll see how our young heroine fairs with a few simple words and phrases.

Release Date: Our story kicks off in 5 days, with the Gateway orientation in NYC followed by a 2 day orientation and 10 days of language instruction in San José.

AAANNNNND CUT!

-Sophia

PS, Should you want to sponsor me in this endeavor, feel free to give me a shout and I'll let you know how!

No comments:

Post a Comment