Jan 23, 2012

9 days

OH MY GOSH, I'M SO NERVOUS!!! WHAT AM I GOING TO DO?? WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?!?!

*awkward silence*

Ahem. Let me rephrase that.

So you guys know that I have this blog right? And that I posted my way through a year in France (well, 10 months. But who's counting.)? Of course you knew that, you're on it right now. Stupid question.

Where was I going with this again?

Oh right, the whole nervous breakdown thing.

So, I've already been on an AFS exchange. And it was amazing. You can read about it in pretty much every other post here. (You can also read about my short stint as a nanny in Paris if that interests you). And AFS picked up my blog and posted it on afsblog.org to show people just how awesome an AFS experience is.

Said AFS experience was so incredible that little old me decided to delay going to college for year and up and do it again, this time with a semester community service program in Costa Rica. Which brings us to my little...um...freak out.

I am now, once again, in the position that many of you reading this find yourselves in. I'm leaving in 9 days for my program, and I don't know what to expect. Here's what AFS has given me:

  1. I will be living in San Ramon, Costa Rica, in the Alajuela Province. I have two host parents and a 5 year old host brother (and they seem very nice).
  2. I will be working teaching music to children with the Sistema Nacional de Educación Musical.

I've talked a little bit with my host family, I've talked a little bit with AFS, and in less than 2 weeks I will land in Latin America and wont leave for almost half a year.

Have I mentioned yet that I don't speak Spanish?

Now, for those of you reading this as an AFSer pre-departure, I can tell you not to worry, because it's an amazing experience. But it's funny how hard it is to take one's own advice. Because even though I've done this before, even though I've been spending my time encouraging people to do this, it's still terrifying when it's looming over me. In my Post-AFS life buzz I forgot about the Pre-AFS panic mode. Hmm.

But I'll blog my way through this, just like I blogged my way through France. I hope you stick around for the journey!

-Sophia

No comments:

Post a Comment